Bundle Release Event

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Vol. 3 Chapter 3 pt. 2 - Hero Suddenly Proposed

Update (07-24-2021):

Hello again, dear readers!

I'm sorry for moving my site here and there! This site made its debut with the purpose of having a one week advance release for my donors as a reward/compensationI decided to post "Hero Suddenly Proposed" here in Blogger for easy readability and also so that it will be easier for me to post, too (less data consuming, sigh).

All the chapters are uploaded here in my site. Just click the "Hero Suddenly Proposed" at the upper bar to redirect you to the novel's page. If you have any questions, you can reach me by leaving your comments anywhere in this site or through my twitter account. Happy reading!

P.S. A little help from you to boost this oba-san's morale would be very much appreciated. If you want to donate, please feel free to do so. Hehe~ #ShamelessPlugging


07-18-2021: This ends the special release for my donors. Thank you so much for accompanying me through the years! After this, the chapter release for donors and regular readers will be on the same day. (Phew!) This also means that this site will be open to everyone.

The next chapter release will tentatively be after 3 weeks. I can't promise because chapter 4 is much longer than this chapter, maybe around 40, 000 characters *cries*. We'll see.


VOLUME 3: Chapter 3 - An Event Will Occur When the Location Changes


What . . . the hell?”

Holding the black sphere in his hand, the demon’s eyes widened in surprise.

“No…… The Hero!?”

Greed-sama, the Hero with a holy sword and was wearing his usual rough white shirt, stood in front of me as the light emitted by the magic circle of teleportation shone on him.

“Greed-sama!”

The moment I recognized his familiar back, a wave of relief surged all over my body. Oh, I felt so strongly that it is going to be okay.

Unexpectedly, tears welled in my eyes.

Greed-sama then said to me, keeping his eyes on the demon floating in the sky.

“Aria, please step back.”

“Y-Yes.”

Like he told me, I too few steps backwards.

“The Hero? Why is the Hero here……?”

The demon holding a black sphere widened his red eyes and looked down at Greed. Then, his line of sight shifted to me, who is behind Greed-sama, and then to Greed-sama again──

Suddenly, the demon laughed boisterously as if he snapped.

“Ahahaha! I see, I see. The spirits are reasonably protecting the young lady. I see, you are the Hero’s fiancee.”

I could only say, ugh. Apparently, he found out that I’m the Hero’s (reluctant) fiancée. Oh, I didn’t want to be exposed……!

“I read the newspaper and knew that the Hero had proposed but…… I didn’t know who the other person was. Even if we sent out a spy, there are hundreds of women in the castle. No one could identify ‘The Hero’s Sweetheart’ with those mediocre characteristics but now . . . I finally found her.”

Those words, matched with the burning eyes of the demon, made me tremble. I felt a much stronger murderous intent than ever before.

As soon as I thought I was out of the pinch, I seemed to have fallen into another pinch. The underling of the defeated Demon King can’t help but have a grudge against the hero, and if he wants to take revenge, he also has no other choice but keep an eye on the fiancée!

Thanks to this commonplace face, it seems that even the demons, let alone the reporters, could not recognize it but…… From this moment on, I am no longer a stranger to them.

Aaahhhh, but more than that, I’m really worried about what I want to say……!

“You read ‘Hero Times’? Are you sure a demon would do that!?”

Oops, I just prattled! W-Well, it’s because I am really curious!

Where did you buy it? Or maybe, you got a subscription? Where did you get that newspaper extra?

But what I want to say the most is . . . this.

──Don’t read “Hero Times”, you demons……!

That’s all…… But my tsukkomi seems to have been ignored.

“It was different from the plan, but I got an unexpected result.”

The demon squinted and gave us a fiendish grin.

At that time, Greed-sama, who was silently observing the demon, opened his mouth.

“You’re Girardière, also known as Azul, subordinate of Demon King Glydios……”

The name he nonchalantly said was something I had never heard before.

──Demon King Glydios. That is probably the name of that macho Demon King──his true name.

For demons, their name is not just a distinction, but an important thing that is directly linked to their existence. Therefore, they rarely call themselves by their name. So no one knew the name of the Demon King.

We humans only call him the Demon King while he is still alive. And only after the Demon King is defeated by the hero will we be able to know his name and speak of it. The same is true for the upper echelons of demons. However, since there are several top brass, we call them after their colors.

The Azul that Greed-sama said──a word that means blue──is probably the name of this demon. It must be because his hair color is ultramarine. And what Greed-sama mentioned must be this demon’s……?

As if to answer my questions, the demon──Azul said.

“A definite answer. Searching for the true name, as expected of the Hero. What’s more, even if you are exposed to the magical power of the true name, you are not afraid. However──”

A smile suddenly disappeared from his face, replaced by an icy, quiet anger.

“Even though you are the hero, I don’t want other people to say the true name of the Demon King.”

“It’s the name of someone who doesn’t exist anymore.”

Greed-sama said, completely unaffected by Azul’s wrath. He was too indifferent.

“In fact, even if I say the name now, I can’t even feel the remnants of his magical powers──the Demon King no longer exists in this world. It must be best understood by you who have a special connection with the Demon King.”

I instinctively screamed, “Hiii!”.

Greed-sama, that’s a bit exaggerated! Is it intentional? Is it intentional? No matter how I think of it, I think he is provoking him, though.

Sure enough, there are signs that Azul’s anger have increased. The placidity a while ago disappeared as he glared at Greed-sama, distorting his handsome face.

“Damn you, Hero…… To ridicule the Demon King……!”

Sigh, just as I thought. See?

In response to Azul’s wrath, the black sphere on his palm grew more. It swelled all at once──it was big enough to swallow a person, and Azul threw it at us.

“!”

At the same time I gasped, Greed-sama moved.

When I thought he took a step forward, he put his hand on the holy sword at an unnoticeable speed and cut the sphere in half.

Being unnoticeable is by no means a metaphor. I couldn’t really see it. All I could see was the orbit of light emitted by the holy sword──the remnants of it.

I thought I saw the light drew an arc against the black background of the sphere, then the sphere was split into two parts, left and right. Then, it made a quivering sound and scattered.

And shortly after its disappearance was completed, Greed-sama started to move again.

Kicking the ground with the holy sword in his hand and jumping into the sky──the next moment, he was approaching Azul.

“How……!”

I was surprised, but Azul would have been more surprised. Because he was able to close the gap in an instant. His red eyes were wide open.

Greed-sama swung down the sword at him. Azul’s flesh was torn apart and seemed to follow the same fate as his sphere.

“Kuuu……!”

I heard an unpleasant sound of flesh being slashed. And what I saw next was a detached──arm.

In front of my appalled self, his arm flew in the sky, and as quickly as the black sphere, it scattered.

If Azul was a human, his body would have definitely been split in half. It was such a quick blow.

But as expected, he is one of the top brass of the demons. By a hair’s breadth, he jumped back. Unfortunately, he could not completely avoid it and lost his elbow and forearm.

Like the wound on his cheek, it did not bleed. I guess he doesn’t seem to feel any pain. Azul didn’t seem to care about the wound and said, frowning.

“That speed and power…… The current Hero is completely different from humans. After all, it is touted that you are the strongest in history.”

Hey, even the demons have certified you as non-human, Greed-sama! However, Greed-sama did not seem to hear the words, and instead, he squinted his eyes and muttered.

“The value of magical power is almost the same…… It means that there was no nucleus in the left arm. It would have been easy had Rufaga had been here.”

Both of them are just talking freely, and the topic of the conversation is not established. Listening to their exchange, I wondered what it was.

For the time being, you should listen properly to what people say, Greed-sama. Although the other person is not a person!

……Setting aside the educational guidance, I thought about Greed-sama’s remarks.

I don’t know why Rufaga-sama’s name came out, but other than that, I can somehow understand.

A demon is like a vessel with a core of magical power. The demon beasts have only one nucleus, but it is natural for humanoid demons to have multiple nuclei. However, it seems that location of the nuclei in the body is different for each individual.

Greed-sama can see the enemy’s status with the [Analysis] skill, so even if Azul lost his left arm, the value of his magic power did not change, so he probably concluded that there was no nucleus in his left arm. If he lost the nucleus, his magical power should have been reduced.

Azul glanced down at Norwen-kun, who had been a little forgotten.

“Unfortunately, the plan has been cancelled. The hero appeared after all. I’d be in trouble if I’m not careful. Well, it is still good because I gained unexpected results……”

Azul’s words, which contained his intention to withdraw, were cut off in the middle.

Before he could finish saying it, Greed-sama closed the gap again and swung his sword.

“.……!”

After dodging earlier, Azul jumped back greatly.

Pointing the sword at him, Greed-sama said coolly.

“I cannot let you live since you knew of her existence.”

Greed-sama approached Azul again soon after spitting out an odd, atrocious line.

Using teleportation magic, Greed-sama chased him and slashed him. This time Azul could not avoid it, and Azul’s left thigh was torn apart.

Azul disappeared and appeared, with Greed-sama giving chase. It was a cycle.

It is very hard for me to follow their movements with my eyes! I can only think of it as testing my dynamic visual acuity.

Still, I found that Greed-sama was not really serious.

At first glance, it looked like they were competing, but Azul has no leeway to attack Greed. It feels like he is only doing his best to avoid it.

On the contrary, Greed-sama is definitely hurting Azul. He would slash every time different parts (of the body) to find the location of the nucleus.

Greed-sama’s tone is still polite, so the controller has not gone off. Yet, he still has a terrifying strength to hunt down the top brass of demons this far. If that is the case, I think he can beat the demon right away but……

I found out why Greed-sama did not do that when he asked Azul.

“Where is Kuro and Midori?”

“Huh, if I don’t answer?”

“If you don’t answer, I’ll keep on asking until you spit it up.”

……Apparently, he’s trying to obtain the whereabouts of the other executives.

Yeah, but can I retort?

Greed-sama, you’re the hero, right?

Yet, like the remark he said earlier, and like the battle that slowly drives the demon to the wall, it’s like . . . it’s like . . .

“And if I corner you to the brink of disappearance, the other upper echelons may come to your aid.”

……G-Greed-sama, that’s a perfect villainous line!

 

* * *

 

I rubbed my eyes a little.

It’s strange but why does Greed-sama look like a bad guy? Is my eyes getting blurry?

Watching the battle while thinking so, Nowen-kun rushed towards me while saying, “Aria-san, are you alright!?”

Until a while ago, he was being restrained by Azul’s magic. But it seems that Azul, who has his hands full with Greed-sama, could not maintain the magic he had cast on Norwen-kun.

I asked the out of breath Norwen-kun who is standing next to me.

“I’m fine. But how did that demon end up targeting you?”

When I met him this morning, didn’t he say that he was going on an errand for Famir-sama?

“I have no idea either.”

Norwen-kun shook his head with a troubled expression.

“As soon as I entered the back street to take a shortcut towards the magic shop, he suddenly appeared in front of me. You’re just right on time, he said.”

Wow, that line sounds like he had something planned. I bet it is definitely not decent.

If I didn’t happen to barge in and Greed-sama didn’t show up to help me, the attempt might have been successful.

“Even so, as expected of the Hero. Isn’t he amazing?!”

Looking up at Greed-sama and Azul fighting midair, Norwen-kun’s eyes shined.

“He’s definitely superb, but his methods are kind of brutal……”

Norwen-kun shook his head.

“The reason why the Hero is fighting like that is probably because he does not want to let that demon use magic…… For a guy who has such great magical power, I think it’s easy for him to turn this area into a sea of fire if he has a little chance.”

I was surprised at his words. That could happen.

In order to protect us and the townspeople, he is pushing the enemy to be only on defense mode, isn’t he?

“……Ugh……”

Greed-sama’s holy sword pierced Azul’s right knee. At that time, Azul’s face, which has almost been expressionless, was greatly distorted.

Azul teleported away from Greed-sama. Immediately after that however, the area below the injured right knee lost its shape as if it crumbled.

Seeing that, Greed-sama said indifferently.

“It seems that one of the nuclei is on his right knee.”

“Curse you……”

His face contorting, Azul glared at Greed-sama. Perhaps the loss of the nucleus of his right knee has greatly reduced his magical power.

“Yey, you did it, Hero-sama!”

Next to the frolicking Norwen, I frowned.

The loss of his left arm and his right leg looked so miserable that Greed-sama seemed like a villain to me.

Even so──Azul is still a demon. He turned his attention on Norwen-kun and me, and for some reason, he smiled wickedly.

And it was when Greed-sama approached Azul again and swung his sword at him. A small black ball was released from Azul’s hand toward us.

Greed-sama immediately stopped attacking.

It was just a tiny ball at first. But as it got closer to us, it got bigger and bigger.

“!”

It seems to be different from the black sphere destroyed by Greed-sama earlier, but I also understood instinctively that it is perfectly dangerous.

Next to me, a gasping Norwen-kun hurriedly started chanting.

“Bright light, the light that illuminates in the dark night, gather in my hands and assemble.”

──Spell casting. It optimizes the magical power based on the technique.

I have heard from Famir-sama before that it is necessary to refine that magical power in order to activate the technique. That’s what the magicians do, chant spells.

However, if one can optimize their magical powers without using any skill, they don’t necessarily need to cast spells. In fact, powerful magicians can use magic without chanting the full spell, and only just by saying the key words or without having to chant at all. Famir-sama can activate a spell without casting if it is a simple technique, while Greed-sama does not cast spells to use the teleportation magic.

First-class magicians do not only have high magical powers are also excellent at refining their techniques. Of course, the higher the magical power, the stronger the technique.

“It is the beginning, it is the lasting wisdom.”

To sum it up, to make it short…… No matter what how you think of it, it’s too late to avoid that ball!

As expected, the ball approached us before Norwen-kun could finish chanting.

──And then. Greed-sama appeared and stood between us and the ball.

And he muttered a word.

“Barrier of Light.”

Whether he finished to say it or not, the black ball burst when I thought that the squealing sound began to shake my eardrums. It’s as if there was an invisible wall in front of Greed-sama and the ball bumped into it. Greed-sama abandoned his battle with Azul and came to help us.

……And probably, that was the goal of Azul.

When the black ball disappeared completely, Greed-sama looked up at the sky.

Surprised, I also looked up at the same place, but there was no trace of Azul.

However in the sky, there is a cut that seems to have been torn by a sharp knife, gaping wide. A deep dark color can be seen through the cut, and I don’t know where it is connected.

When humans travel to long distances by using magic, they use magic circles. When Greed-sama teleported here, he also appeared from the magic circle.

But when the demons travel, they might be using a technique like cutting through this space instead of the magic circle.

──The gap in the space where Azul seems to have disappeared into closed in a blink of an eye. After that, the blue sky filled the space. It was as if there was no cut from the beginning.

After seeing the break in the space close, Greed-sama turned around and looked at me.

His face──seemed to be a little distressed.

“He escaped…… I’m sorry, Aria.”

“Huh?”

Why is Greed-sama apologizing?

“He knew about you and I let him go. It’s entirely my fault.”

“Th-That’s not true!”

I hurriedly denied it.

After all, had Greed-sama did not interrupt in the fight and helped us, we would have been dead. Greed-sama did not do anything wrong!

Rather, it is me who should apologize!

….…And I have to say thank you.

But before I could mutter it, Greed-sama shook his head.

“No, I was being lenient to him in order to know his companions’ whereabouts. It wouldn’t have happened had I dealt with him quickly. I apologize.”

“You’re mistaken……! No, the one who is at fault is me. Because I am an encumbrance!”

“No, I failed to stop him so it is my responsibility. You only got involved.”

“But he was targeting me. Nevertheless, Greed-sama came to help…… Well…… Thank you. I was happy.”

I said whilst squirming.

I shouldn’t have a tsundere attribute, but why is this strangely embarrassing……?

“That’s a given. Helping you is important to me, Aria.”

Greed-sama said as he peered down at me.

The happy face and tone made me even more confused.

……What’s with this feeling of embarrassment! Somehow, my face became hot.

At the time the pink atmosphere emerged, it was as if a flag of something was raised.

“Amazing……!”

An admiring voice of a third party interrupted us.

When both of us turned around at the same time, Norwen-kun, an apprentice wizard whose existence we had completely forgotten, was there. He was looking up at Greed with his round eyes shining.

“It’s amazing, so amazing! As expected of the Hero! You can activate that difficult [Barrier of Light] in one phrase……! Even for Famir-sama, he can only abridge the first half!”

Norwen-kun is very excited. It seems like I can see the illusion of the tail and ears…… Anyway, that barrier was such a difficult technique, eh?

“What’s more, what’s more, the teleportation magic and flight magic are not chanted, and it’s amazing that you can use magic like breathing……! I have so much respect!”

“……Thanks.”

Greed-sama responds almost indifferently to Norwen-kun, who is so excited that his face seems to be shining and to be jumping in place. However, I saw the result of educational training──guidance, rather.

Greed-sama actually thanked him for his praises……!

It is still far from the normal reaction, but there is definitely an improvement! Yes, yes, well done!

“Aria, have you finished shopping?”

While I was reflecting on it, Greed-sama asked, turning from expressionless to happy. There is too much difference with his attitude toward Norwen-kun compared to his attitude toward mine.

……Yeah, it looks like it is still improving, though. However, Norwen-kun did not seem to care much about it.

“Yes. I’m almost done but . . .”

While answering, I realized that I am not holding a basket.

Hurriedly looking around, it seemed that I had let go of it when I first fell, and the basket and its contents were scattered a few meters away.

Oh, but I bought it at a bargain price……!

……And if you’ll let me explain, I completely forgot about it during this time. About the bracelet. The annoying [Blessing]!

It was when I was about to go to pick up a bag of tea leaves scattered on the ground after a jog. When I felt a strange pull, my body was dragged!

……The rest is as you can imagine.

“I-I forgoooot……”

I said with a squeal, I went “bam!” into Greed-sama’s chest, facing him backwards.

……That’s right. This “bam!” was disabled inside the castle, but it was activated when I went out of the castle. I haven’t been out of the castle lately, so I forgot about it. Or rather, I wanted to erase it from my mind, for sure.

“J-Just now……”

Norwen-kun’s big round eyes have become even more round.

Of course, he was surprised because I suddenly flew toward Greed-sama in front of him!

That’s what I thought, but it seems that Norwen-kun was not surprised because of that.

“Wow……! Maybe that bracelet is a magic tool? As one would expect of the Hero! The engagement bracelet is also a great substitute!”

“You’re surprised because of that!?”

……I made a tsukkomi involuntarily. For some reason, the word “magic nerd” came to my mind. And it seems that Greed-sama’s evaluation has risen more and more for Nowen-kun.

I sighed deeply in Greed-sama’s arms and heard the sound of some flag snapping.

──On that day, many people witnessed that the Hero was walking with a young woman and a lad in the castle town of Schwarze.

The state of their harmonious relationship attracted speculations that spread around, such as, “Is that the Hero’s fiancee? And her brother?”, “No, they seem to be siblings who happened to be helped by a hero from the demons, right?”

All the rumors that Norwen-kun is supposed to be my younger brother made me laugh. Well, it is not unreasonable. It is an established fact that Greed-sama has no siblings.

The truth is, I reluctantly walked beside Greed-sama, who would not leave me alone, while Norwen-kun, who was in high spirits, followed behind Greed-sama. Greed-sama is smiling because he is with me, and it seems that he is in good terms with his frolicking puppy, tsk.

I was wondering what kind of article would be written if the reporter saw such a scene…… While thinking about that, I didn’t spot him in the sea of curious onlookers. Is it luck in the midst of misfortune, I wonder.

However at a later date, a fairly accurate caricature of the “Hero’s Fiancée” was drawn based on the sightings of a large number of people, and I realized that I could not go out again for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment