Bundle Release Event

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Vol. 4 Chapter 1 pt. 1 - Hero Suddenly Proposed

And we are down to the last volume. Huzzah!

*Please buy me Ko-Fi. Your support will be greatly appreciated ^_^ #ShamelessPlugging



VOLUME 4: Chapter 1 - The Maid of the Demon King’s Castle

 

From the iron kettle placed on the stove-shaped magic tool, I can hear the satisfying sound of boiling water. I covered the handle with a towel to prevent burns and lifted the iron kettle.

Next to the iron kettle, there is a pot filled with tea leaves. It has already been warmed with hot water.

Well, the game starts from here. You have to pour hot water all at once so to add air. My concentration will be tested!

……And yet.

“Yo, Aria, still not done? I’m already tired of waiting.”

That voice interrupted my work.

I screamed at someone who was lying on the couch and talked to me.

“Please wait a little longer!"

Then I concentrated and put hot water in the pot.

Yes, the tea leaves are bobbing nicely. A sweet scent drifted from the pot.

As expected of the finest tea leaves. The scent is different! I never thought that I would see the finest tea leaves from Mindalk in such a place. Sometimes, it’s nice to be kidnapped . . . I meant this as a joke, though.

Now, the tea leaves have to be steamed for another two minutes, so I’d like to start with the customary thing.

──My name is Aria Milford. I am Maid A of the Second Princess of Schwarze, Louise.

I am also known as “the Hero’s Fiancee” and self-proclaimed “the Hero’s Educator”. Behind the scenes, I am also called “the Hero’s Trainer” for some reason.

More recently, I received the title of “Princess Tiana’s love rival”…… Anyway, it’s a long story so let’s summarize it, okay?

Anyway, I have many titles, but the point is I am just Maid A, that is, a mob character…… No, I was a mob character.

Until that time when the hero Greed-sama, who rescued Louise-sama from being kidnapped by the Demon King, proposed to me!

Since then, my title, which was just Maid A, has increased steadily.

And this time, a new title has been added.

That is──

“Aria, are you still not done?”

Ah, really! Why can’t this person wait for just three minutes!

“Yes, yes, in a minute!”

Tut-tut, I said inwardly as I replied to the top brass demon who was urging me as he lay down on the sofa──Fortunato, also known as Verde.

……That’s right. I’m currently “The Maid of the Demon King’s Castle”.

To be exact, aren’t I “Verde’s Maid”?

Certainly, it is far from being Maid A. I missed those days working in a human castle.

……And it hasn’t been so long ago!

Now, why am I, who was abducted as a hostage by the demons, serving Verde in this way? I bet you wonder.

It has a deeper, deeper explanation than the sea.

I was caught by Verde in front of Greed-sama and was forcibly dragged into a gap that seemed to have been cut up the space with a knife, and I immediately fainted.

When I woke up, I was lying down on the floor of a room that looked like a living room . . . no, it seemed that I was thrown down.

What appeared in my vision when I woke up were three demons──who were not ordinary demons, but subordinates under the direct control of the Demon King who possessed great powers and beautiful appearances.

They are the so-called “upper echelons”. I am already acquainted with the two of them.

One is Girardière, also known as Azul, with ultramarine hair and red eyes. He told me.

“Welcome to the Demon King’s Castle, Hero’s Fiancee.”

The other is Verde, the one who had abducted me.

With green hair and red eyes, he was sitting on the couch, crossing his fingers behind his neck and looking at me with interest.

And the woman standing next to Azul, looking down at me──it was the first time I saw that demon.

According to an article in a newspaper, there are three of the upper echelons, Verde, Azul, and Noir, who survived without being defeated by Greed-sama. So she must be the top brass called Noir.

She has long jet-black hair that shone glossily. Her dress, which was designed to boldly expose her shoulders, upper arms and cleavage, is also jet black and sticks to her white skin, highlighting her fascinating body figure.

It’s not just the body that is beautiful. The slender, tall-bridged nose, almond-shaped eyes, and even the long eyelashes that bordered her eyes were perfectly shaped as if they were made by a first-class artist.

As for the degree of perfection, she is superior to Louise-sama and Mariage-sama, the first princess.

However, her beauty was completely different from the two who have pretty and graceful “goddess-like” beauty.

With the monotone color of her skin, hair and dress, only the blood-red eyes and lips looked strikingly vivid. It is so captivating that it fascinates the viewer and once caught, they cannot escape.

As I gawked at her, Noir, who looked at me with no affability whatsoever, drew her lips into an arc.

“Come to think of it, I’m the only one you just met for the first time. I’m Ludivine, serving under the Demon King Glydios. I’m also called Noir.”

After introducing herself to me, Noir then asked Azul, who was standing next to her.

“Hey, is this girl really the fiancée of that hero? Is there such a poor girl without magical powers?”

“Yes, there’s no doubt.”

“Since it was the hero who chose her, I was kind of expecting someone who has high magical powers or something special…… It seems that not only the contents of his head but also his taste in women have changed.”

I’m sorry for being ordinary. Tsk.

I cursed inwardly. However, it has been said so often that it does not hurt each time I hear it.

Just recently, I was told by Princess Tiana of the Kingdom of Albatro and her servants. Damn it.

By the way, I interpreted that ordinariness not about the chest, but my entire appearance.

“Oh? You……”

Noir, looking down at me, squinted as if she noticed something, and then said to Verde, who was sitting on the couch.

“For, have you done something to this chit? I can feel your magical power from her.”

“……Spell?”

I didn’t realize that magic was applied to me, so I muttered unintentionally.

What kind of spell, and since when did he cast it on me?

“Yes, I did.”

Verde added, “So what?” with an amused tone.

“Well, this chit has no magical powers, right? Besides, she seems to have low resistance, so I had to protect her. Wouldn’t it be a problem if she died as soon as she arrived at this castle?”

W-What?! I have no magical power and no resistance to magic?

I never thought I would be informed of my additional disappointing specifications in such a place.

Magical resistance is like resistance to magical power. I’m repeating the words of Famir-sama, the royal magician of Schwarze.

Even with attack magic that doesn’t take much damage to highly resistant humans, people with low resistance may suffer detrimental damage.

Also, this is a little-known story, but it seems that those with low resistance are affected only by approaching those with strong magical power.

Because I am too sensitive to magical power, I get into a state of magical sickness just by touching the strong magical power of others. It seems to be a thing. I heard that when it’s terrible, you may faint.

Many members have strong magical power in Greed-sama’s party, so it seems that they usually curb their magical powers so as not to affect people with low tolerance.

……And now, the demons are in front of me. On top of that, they are also high-ranking demons with particularly strong magical powers.

If Verde had not done anything to protect me, I might have fainted and gone to heaven. So scary!

“Since you are near that hero, aren’t you a little tolerant?”

Verde laughed as if he was making fun of Noir’s inquiry.

“Even if she has resistance to human magic, it doesn’t apply right now because the magic of humans and demons are different.”

There was an underlying, “Don’t you understand that?” Noir glared at Verde.

Apparently, these two do not get along with each other……

“Well, it’s okay, Ludi. She is a hostage to lure the hero, so she should be protected for the time being.”

When Azul said that, Noir looked back at me and grinned.

“I understand. For the time being, right?”

I was horrified by her words and smile.

For the time being . . . Will I be killed in the future?

This time Azul looked down at me, smiling.

“I tell you, this is a place where even that hero can’t easily access. It’s because this place has a strong barrier. The hero’s minion spirits also cannot enter. Last time, it seems that he destroyed the barrier that stretched over the Demon King’s Castle using the power of the spirits, but this time he can’t do that either.”

I’m not sure about the destruction of the barrier, but the fact that the spirits can’t come in means that the spirits who have always protected me are not around now……

As soon as it entered my thought, I suddenly felt lonely.

No, it’s normal that I have no spirit protection but they made me feel like I could rely on something. It was the spirits who protected me from Tiana-sama and her servants.

Now, I’m completely alone in the enemy’s territory……

Besides, without the spirits, Greed-sama wouldn’t know my current location……

R-Right now, Greed-sama’s emotions are unstable and I hope that the world’s extinction flag is not set yet!

Anyway, knowing Greed-sama, he is the type of person who can forget about me and let his mighty power run wild!

……I mean, I don’t even know where I am.

“What is this place?”

I wandered around the room and asked.

It has luxurious furnishings and looked somewhat like a castle or a mansion. However, while the castle of Schwarze has a bright atmosphere created by white color inside and outside, the walls here are dark gray, so it has an overall gloominess.

“It’s the Demon King’s castle.”

It was Noir who answered my question.

“Demon King’s Castle……”

This is the Demon King’s castle, right? The Demon King is the king of the demons, isn’t he?

There is a reason why I am asking such a stupid question.

Because the Demon King was supposedly defeated by Greed-sama. I heard that the Demon King’s castle also collapsed and its trace disappeared.

……Maybe it’s like that? Like a common setting in the Hero Tales’ fanfictions, what the hero actually defeated was a fake, and the real Demon King was alive……?

By the way, in the fanfictions, they ship the Demon King and the Hero. I haven’t read it, but some young ladies are crazy about such stories.

……Well, let’s set it aside.

Anyway, since this is called the Demon King’s Castle, is it okay to assume that the Demon King is here?

I opened my mouth to ask, but suddenly I had a bad feeling and closed my mouth.

Think about it. If Greed-sama defeated a fake Demon King . . .

“Isn’t the Demon King dead?”

“I am actually alive. See for yourself.”

Something like that.

But if the top brass called this castle the “Devil King’s Castle” in memory of the dead Demon King . . .

“Isn’t the Demon King defeated?”

“By your fiance. That bastard.”

That’s likely to happen, right?

Those were a very dangerous course of events. It would be wise to keep silent so as not to offend the demons by saying bad things.

……Because I promised Greed-sama.

He said that I should treasure my life until Greed-sama comes to my aid.

“Well, I brought you here as a hostage to lure the Hero, as I said earlier.”

Azul said with a triumphant smile.

“If we seriously try to deal with the Hero, it would be bad for us. But if you are in our hands, can he do anything, can’t he?”

I trembled in horror.

What are these demons planning to do to Greed-sama……? No, their purpose is fixed. To take revenge on Greed-sama, who defeated the Demon King──in other words, they want him dead.

While sitting on the floor, I squeezed my apron on my lap with both hands.

If I were their shield, Greed-sama cannot touch the demons.

Greed-sama has little regard for himself or others. But the only exception is me, and for my sake, he would just throw away his life.

──I-I don’t like that!

I have to do something…… I am not sure of what I can do, but I just have to avoid letting Greed-sama die because of me!

When I was in a state of panic, Noir delightedly said these words.

“Hey, we shouldn’t kill this chit, right? She won’t die if she loses an arm, right?”

Wh-What the hell! It’s not the time to be worried about Greed-sama!

“Oh, that’s a good idea. It will be effective blackmail to the Hero.”

Azul agreed, laughing.

“……That’s a bad joke.”

My face twitched.

Indeed, you will not die if you lose one arm.

But I don’t want to lose it! I find it scary just to imagine how Greed-sama would react when he sees my arm!

“It’s going to be fine. I’ll stop the bleeding with magic, and I’ll make sure it will be painless.”

Azul took a step toward me with a smile on his face.

I don’t want it to hurt or to bleed, but I also don’t want to lose an arm!

I shouted back at him in my mind.

“It’s not fine at all!”

It was just after that. The laid-back voice broke the tense atmosphere.

“Hey, that’s troublesome.”

It was Verde’s voice. He got up from the couch, walked towards me, and said in an out-of-place cheerful voice.

“Because I have a lot of things to ask and talk about with this girl. If you cut off her arm, she won’t be able to talk without reserve. No, no, no. No cutting of arm.”

Upon hearing that, Azul frowned.

“For.”

“Did I not tell you that I cooperated with your plan in the first place because I wanted to talk to this kid? Even so, I don’t want to take any liberties.”

Verde then went beside me, put an arm around my waist, and hoisted me up.

“Eh?”

When I noticed, my body was floating in the air.

I was held under his arm like a dog or cat…… I’m a human being, okay?

“I will take care of this child. Since she is a maid at Schwarze’s castle, that’s just right. I wonder if she can be my maid.”

“Huh?”

What is this person saying all of a sudden? I mean, this demon. To make me his maid in such a situation……

No, it’s far better than losing one arm…… Maybe it’s because “make her my maid” sounded like “make her my pet” to me.

“For, don’t just decide on your own.”

Azul said in a hard, sharp voice. Noir standing next to him was also glaring at Verde.

But as if falling on Verde’s deaf ears, he laughed in amusement while holding me.

“Decide on my own? You’re so funny, Dier. I already told you from the start, right? I’m not interested in what you guys are trying to do. Now that my work is done, I’ll let you do anything you like. You guys should be focusing on luring the Hero as soon as possible. However, this girl will become my maid.”

“Fortunato!”

However, it seems that the executives under the direct control of the Demon King have ranks. The higher the rank is, the stronger the magical power and the more powerful he or she is.

In other words, Verde, who is first in rank, is the second most powerful person after the Demon King, and Azul, who is rank two, should be inferior to him in terms of ability.

So this is basically winning by default, eh? I thought. Noir, who was beside Azul, stepped forward, glaring at Verde.

“Did you forget that I’m still here?”

Oops, is Noir an ally of Azul?

“Oh, do you want to start a fight, Ludi?”

Verde responded cheerfully.

What’s going to happen? Even if he is in the first rank, it would be difficult for him to deal with the second and third ranks at the same time……

But this may be an opportunity for me. Perhaps, they will destroy each other……?

While I was scheming under Verde’s hold, Azul wedged himself between Noir and Verde and said.

“Ludi, let’s stop for now. Now that we have to threaten the Hero, we don’t want to kill ourselves and lose our strength in vain.”

“……I understand, Dier.”

Noir replied and stepped back unwillingly.

Azul then said to Verde.

“Do what you want, For. Just don’t let that woman out of here.”

As soon as he heard that, Verde immediately erased his murderous intent and smiled.

“Then, it’s decided.”

Immediately after Verde said that, my field of vision suddenly doubled in distortion.

I then found myself in another room with Verde. It’s a little smaller than the previous room, and the furnishings had a different vibe.

Apparently, Verde used teleportation magic while holding me.

Verde lowered me to the floor, then silently walked toward the large mirror on the wall and tapped it with his fingertips.

Then, the figures of Azul and Noir were reflected in the mirror that had reflected me and Verde just a while ago. And with audio. The other side appeared unaware at all and continued talking.

“As usual, I can’t comprehend what he is thinking.”

Azul muttered, scowling.

I think I heard him sigh, but it must have been my imagination.

“Tsk. If he wasn’t the first rank, I could have already killed him.”

Noir glared at where we were earlier and spat out.

As I guessed, she does not get along with Verde.

“First of all, he is someone who doesn’t stand out, Ludi. He’s a sloppy guy, but he’s definitely capable. Because he maintains this castle with magical power, we can focus on maintaining the barrier and our revenge on the Hero. And yet, he has always been whimsical.”

Azul said as he took Noir’s hand and lead her to the sofa.

As Noir sat, she murmured in displeasure.

“I can’t figure him out at all. I wonder why the Demon King took such a sloppy man. Despite being the first rank, the role of organizing the higher-ranked demons was imposed on you, Dier……!”

After sitting next to her, Azul answered.

“The Demon King was amused by his whimsical attitude. It is really demon-like to him.”

“Demon-like? Hmm.”

Noir snorted.

“Whatever. Let’s leave him alone to protect that woman. It saved us time. What’s the situation in Schwarze’s castle?”

Upon hearing those words, Noir seemed to remember and answered with a straight face.

“According to our spy, all of them were already obliterated. I’m amazed, I must say . . . It took faster than we expected.”

“Then, all we have to do is advance the schedule.”

Azul replied and grinned.

“Idiot. It is not because it is a whim, but because it was a fluke. You are not aware of that, that’s why you guys are no good.”

Facing the mirror, Verde muttered as if he could be heard by them.

Azul and Noir then continued to discuss plans and stuff.

Then the topic shifted to me and I perked my ears as to not miss every detail, that was when Verde looked back at me.

Then, the scene in the mirror was wiped out…… Tsk.

Verde said to me in a laid-back tone.

“That’s why you’re my maid from now on.”

“Huuuuh……”

What else could I say? But Verde didn’t seem to like my response and pouted in dissatisfaction.

“What’s with that unwilling reply? Do you want to go back to Dier and Ludi? You don’t mind losing one arm, right?”

Hiiiii!

I screamed in panic.

“N-No, I’m fine with being a maid. I’m originally a maid, so I’ll do it! Rather, let me do it~!”

──Thus, I became the “Maid of the Demon King’s Castle”.

 


 *** to be continued ***

1 comment:

  1. Such a bittersweet feeling going into the final volume. I'm really curious to see how the second journey of the heroes is different from the first. Part of me wonders if Aria ends up taming all the demons in her own way even before Greed gets there XD

    ReplyDelete