Bundle Release Event

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Vol. 4 Chapter 2 - Hero Suddenly Proposed

Special thanks to oddeyedcat and Alexis for your donation! T_T This oba-san is very grateful from the bottom of her heart.



VOLUME 4: Chapter 2 - The Demon King’s Existence


“First, I’d like to say that we demons need humans.”

“Huh?”

I averted my eyes. What did he just say……? Demons need humans?

“Preposterous……”

So why do demons attack humans?

Despite my bewilderment, Verde continued.

“To be precise, we need humans for the survival of the species. Dier and the others may deny it, but it’s true. Several generations of Demons Kings suffered the dilemma of hating but needing humans.”

He then pointed to the green book on the table.

“As what the book said, we demons are essentially just a mass of magical power. But with the exception of the spirits, magical power alone cannot continue to exist in this world. Therefore, the demons devised to maintain their existence by having vessels generated by magical power. However, there are conditions to maintain the vessel.”

“Conditions?”

“Yes. We must imitate the appearance of living creatures that exist in this world and create vessels. In other words, we cannot take the appearance of living creatures that do not exist in this world. That’s why there are no demons in the shape of imaginary creatures, such as dragons and qilins (Chinese unicorn) that Ren Shirosaki mentioned. With this, do you have an inkling on one of the reasons why the demons need humans?”

I’m unsure about it but I said.

“I-In other words, when humans disappear, demons can no longer take the form of humans…… Is that right?”

Verde smiled, as if confirming I had answered correctly.

“Correct. And if there are no higher-ranking demons who take the form of humans, the entire demon race will become uncontrollable and the demons will be destroyed. Because we are greatly influenced by the nature of the species we imitate to produce vessels. No matter how much magic you have, a beast is nothing more but a beast.”

The temperament is greatly influenced by the vessel. Beasts are nothing but beasts, even if they have magical powers…… Somehow, I feel like I’ve come to understand what Verde wants to say.

Those demons in the form of quiet animals have calm temperaments, and those demons in the form of beasts have fierce temperaments. That’s what the research has revealed since the publication of Ren Shirosaki’s work.

On the same principle, demons in the shape of beasts have an animalistic way of thinking about things. That’s why they could possibly not command the entire demons. I think that’s what he wants to say.

“Human beings, unlike beasts, are life forms that can think logically. We can only command the entire demon race by taking the form of humans.”

Verde gave me a self-deprecating smile.

“Do you understand? It means that we need humans. We hate humans, but we depend on them. And the generations of Demon Kings have noticed this contradiction and suffered. The same thing was true for the Demon King of this generation . . . Glydios.”

Verde then stared at the distance.

“Had the hatred and anger towards humans were not so strong, we could have taken another approach to this long cycle. As Ren Shirosaki has advocated, another way would have been discussing with humans on how to adjust the magical power that flows to the world. But the Demon Kings could not give up their hatred for humans. It may have been even more so because they are Demon Kings.”

“Because they are Demon Kings?”

Verde bobbed his head at me.

“The higher the rank of the demon, the greater the degree of hatred for humans. The demon beasts almost have none. They just attack humans with their survival instincts and have no hatred. It’s ironic that the demons who imitate humans must hate humans.”

Verde continued to mock himself, completely different from his laid-back attitude a while ago.

“Verde?”

At my call, Verde turned his attention to me.

“Hey, Aria. Did you know? Demons began to hate humans after the birth of the Demon King…… Or rather, when the demons began to hate humans.”

“What?”

“From the moment a demon is born, he already has the knowledge he needs to live. He also has knowledge about humans. He also can create the vessel and at the same time, imitate the thought patterns and the feelings of the creature. Therefore, the demon also acquired the complex emotions that humans have when imitating it, and becomes angry at his circumstances. Hence, the start of his hatred in humans.”

……That was an unexpected story.

I squeezed my hands on my lap.

We who were summoned to this world──why did humans and demons have to hate each other in this way?

Verde continued with downcast eyes.

“We of the higher ranks think that we should let our emotions destroy humans. Just like Dier and the others. It was easy for us to think that way because we are ‘followers’. But the Demon King is different from the rest of us. The Demon King is the king of the demons and the ‘leader’ of the demons. He just can’t get caught up in his emotions. He is in a position wherein he has to think about the future of the demon race before he acts.”

I was puzzled but I nodded a little.

The Demon King is different, but he is like our King who is in a similar position. 

Being the ruler of a kingdom means that you have to make painful decisions that can suppress your emotions and sometimes tear your heart. Our king has ruled our kingdom that way.

Because if the king rules according to his feelings, the kingdom will be thrown into chaos. Perhaps the same is true for the Demon King, who is the ruler of the demons.

“But you what? Even those Demon Kings couldn’t escape the negative chain of hatred. Rather, since they are Demon King, they were the most angy at this repeating system.”

Verde made a thinking gesture by placing his hand on his lips, and then he said again.

“……No, it’s a little different. It is correct──that the seal of hatred that was engraved in their body at the moment of their birth could not be erased. That’s why, the Demon King was smiling bitterly at me, who had no hatred for humans and was rather interested in them, with amusement. He said that it was all right to have one such demon.”

Flashing me a nostalgic smile, Verde continued.

“He often told me, ‘You are free.’ But I knew that I wasn’t free. The Demon King could not freely talk about these things to me in front of Dier and the others. It was the Demon King who taught me that humans are needed for the survival of the species. He also told me that the generations of Demon Kings had to bet the future of the demons on a repetitive system, and that they would eventually do so.”

“……Eh?”

My eyes widened.

Did the generations of Demon Kings have to bet the future of the demons on the repetitive system set by the goddess?

I asked Verde, a little confused.

“Err…… The Demon King . . .  did he hate this repetitive system created by the goddess?”

From the perspective of me as a human being, the number one victim of this system is the Demon King. So the Demon King would naturally hate this system, but……

“Of course, he hated it. He cannot not hate it. But he could not stop the repetitive cycle to ensure the survival of our kind. Aria, can you understand the feeling of the Demon King?”

Verde suddenly turned serious after flashing me a leering smile.

“As you have known, Demon Kings have never defeated heroes. It may be because of the unwritten rules set by the goddess, but above all, it is because the Demon Kings have been defeated by heroes on their own wishes.”

“……Wishes?”

That was the most shocking story I heard today.

“W-Why?”

“Because if the Demon King defeats the hero, what will happen after that? Whether the magical power increases or decreases, the world is going to perish. The demons have no way of adjusting the amount of magical power that flows into the world. The expected result is clearer than looking at the fire. The demon king must not beat the hero in order for the demons to survive. Therefore, the Demon King has been choosing a way for his species to survive by being defeated by the hero. He has been relying on the repetitive system created by the goddess.”

I gasped. I never thought about that.

If the species can survive if he disappears, the Demon King will naturally choose that path.

But, but that’s……!

Verde suddenly relaxed his expression.

“Even the Demon Kings have been looking for other ways. They never chose that way easily. But on one hand, there are subordinates who hate humans and want them to be annihilated. On the other hand, there is this reality that we have to rely on humans. They were caught in this dilemma and they are left with no choice but to choose.”

“Oh, no……”

I bit my lips. He was very helpless.

I once said this to Rufaga-sama. “People have no choice but to live their life to the fullest.”

I still think so, but maybe it was because I was blessed.

What if I didn’t have anything? What if I was born in a hopeless situation?

Won’t I try to get out of that situation? Living your life to the fullest was an unfair statement.

Humans are blessed. The goddess and the spirits gave them benefits. 

But the demons were not blessed. Hence, they struggled. If the result of those who are living their life to the fullest is endless struggle…… What will I tell them?

“That’s why I don’t think the next Demon King will accept Ren Shirosaki’s proposal. It’s difficult to get out of this system because of our long history of reliance on it. There is too much hatred for humans to accept that proposal.”

“Then, you have to repeat the same situation……?”

Until the end of the world…… Until the power of the goddess reaches its limit, for eternity?

Verde grinned at my remark.

“It’s not the ‘same’ already, Aria. Think again. The current situation is different from the previous patterns, isn’t it? The Hero defeated the Demon King, surpassing all the upper ranked demons. We are still alive even after the Demon King ceased to exist. This is unheard of. I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the future.”

He then giggled with delight.

“Indeed, it is different from the previous patterns, but . . . I can’t laugh at my current situation.”

After all, because some of the upper ranks survived, they abducted me and brought me to the Demon King’s castle!

Hearing that, Verde burst into laughter.

“Unfortunately for you, but I am enjoying the situation and I want to see how things unfold. That’s why I tried to cooperate to their stupid plan. I heard a lot of interesting stories from you and it was worth cooperating with them.”

Despite my dubious expression, Verde got up from the sofa.

“Well then, I’ll better end our conversation and take you to your room so that you can rest today. Humans need sleep, and no matter how much the bracelet protects you, the teleportation spell must’ve taken a toll on the intolerant you.”

“Eh?”

“Come on, stand up. I’ll take you to your room.”

“Y-Yes.”

I stood up obediently, but I suddenly felt curious so I asked Verde.

“Err, do you . . . hate Greed-sama for defeating the Demon King?”

Heading towards the door, Verde suddenly stopped in his tracks.

“I understand that you don’t hate humans, but do you personally hate Greed-sama?”

Based on what I heard, it seems that Verde has some affection towards the macho Demon King. Perhaps the macho Demon King was both his master and someone who cares for him?

Humans would become angry if such a special person were killed. They would hate the murderer. If the demons in the shape of humans are similar to humans in terms of emotions, Verde must be hating Greed-sama.

But as he looked back at me, Verde replied in the same laid-back tone.

“Of course, I was shocked when I learned that the Demon King had been defeated. But I don’t hate the Hero. It is his mission to defeat the Demon King. Besides, when the Hero destroyed the barrier of the Demon King’s castle, the Demon King did not summon us…… He decided to fight alone. In the end, I was sad but I didn't feel anger nor hatred.”

Then Verde chuckled a bit.

“The Demon King told me to live freely so I’m going to do things freely.”


*    *    *


Verde guided me to a small room near the previous room.

I think it is a bit larger than my private room in Schwarze’s castle. There is a bed and a small desk.

“I will summon you if I need something but other than that, you’re free to do anything. You can take a walk in the castle grounds. There are no other demons other than us three in this castle, so rest assured. Well then, good night~”

After Verde disappeared, I sat in the bed and gazed at the dim ceiling. A soft light from a lamp brightened the room and made a soft flickering sound.

True to Verde’s words, my body was very exhausted. Since morning, I busily prepared for the ball, argued with Tiana-sama and danced with Greed-sama. After that, I witnessed the scene where the magician of Albatro tried to break the barrier, and was abducted by the demons…… Etc., etc.

It felt like it all happened a long time ago, adding to the fact that I fainted as Verde reminded me. Meaning, it hasn’t been so long since I was abducted.

Therefore, it is natural for me to be tired. But I didn’t feel like lying down. The story I heard from Verde kept on coming back to me.

……It’s so shocking that I still can’t believe it.

The Demon King has been defeated by the Hero for the sake of the future of the demon race. But I don’t see any reason for Verde to lie to me, so I’m sure it’s true.

Oh, how distorted, unreasonable and unfriendly this world is!

Still, we humans, elves and demons must live in this world.

I suddenly felt dejected and gently touched the bracelet on my left arm.

“Greed-sama.”

I whispered, but nothing happened.

He said that if I call his name through the bracelet, he will come to me wherever I am. He came to me when I called him in the town before. Is he too far here? Or is it because of the barrier that denies even the spirits?

Now, I realize once again that I am alone in this place, with no one to call for help.

But I shook my head to drive away the dark, sinking feeling.

“Don’t worry, I am all right. I believe that Greed-sama and the others will come to help me. The princess was locked in the Demon King’s castle and she endured it for a month. If I think about that, I should be able to bear it!”

Yes, Greed-sama will surely find me. Until then, I must survive at all costs.

Coming to that decision, I took off my apron and untied my hair. I then reached out to put out the lamp and got into the bed while still wearing my maid outfit.

As expected, I wasn’t given a change of clothes, and I thought it would be better to wear my clothes so that I could immediately take action should something happen.

I put my head on the pillow and relaxed. I don’t think it would be easy to sleep in the enemies’ territory, but anyway, I have to recover my strength and prepare for tomorrow……

At the end of that thought, I immediately sank into the abyss of sleep.

Zzzz……

No comments:

Post a Comment