Bundle Release Event

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Vol. 3 Chapter 4 pt. 3 - Hero Suddenly Proposed

The last part. Finally!!! T_T

We're still in the first 4 chapters of this volume, but believe me, we have surpassed half of the novel already. XD

I want to thank A***** T*** for donating! My brain cells instantly felt revitalized >_< It sounds shameless but it's true! The support you gave me is encouraging. T^T

I hope and pray that everyone is safe and sound! Happy reading!


VOLUME 3: Chapter 4 - The Hero and the World


Wh-Why are you laughing!?”

I’m pretty serious about what I said, but I think I said some good points!

Where is the funny part in my speech? Is it the first time he heard about my father and brother being eccentric? Or was it so funny that I, a mob, wanted to be special?

“No, please forgive me.”

But he did not stop laughing.

Seeing my petulant expression, Rufaga-sama said with a smile.

“I’m sorry, but I just felt like I understand why Greed chose you……”

“Why he chose me?”

“Yes, you possess an unshakeable will, something like doing something slowly but surely. And that is something Greed doesn’t have.”

Rufaga-sama suddenly looked at a distance.

“Greed has very little awareness of his connection to the world. He accepted the truth about the world without any emotion. That’s because the world doesn’t mean anything to him. It is different from your ‘disinterest’. He has no sense of belonging to the world. To him, your existence would have felt like a ray of light shining through the darkness. He knows the world through you by depending on your strength. To him, you are light and at the same time an anchor.”

“Anchor?”

“That’s right. You are an anchor to connect him to the world. And one more thing, you acknowledge that you are mediocre, but at the same time you know what it means to be special. Probably because you are ‘neither special nor ordinary’. Greed has been a ‘special’ person ever since since he was born. It won’t change even if he finishes his role as the Hero. I think he found you a very accepting person who would view him as a ‘special’ person. What he knows is that you can accept him.”

“You g-give me too much credit!”

I shrieked. There is no room for another “special” person! My hands are already full with my father and brother alone!

“But if he chose you with that in mind, that would be NO. I’ve just given two reasons, but I am not really sure. Even Greed probably can’t answer. But why do people like people? If you give a reason why you chose it with your heart instead of your mind, you are just making excuses. He chose you from tens of thousands. He chose you because it was you. That is because your thoughts, your past, and everything that makes you up as a person is exactly what Greed lacks. Because you fill the void in him.”

……It’s becoming more and more difficult for me to understand. But I do know that it’s overrated!

“That’s why I said, you’re giving me too much credit……”

Rufaga-sama grinned at me, who became flustered.

“I think it is close to instinct. Do you think Greed was thinking so deeply? The moment he first met you? I think it is kind of a hunch. It is like how the animals chose their mate.”

……From a world-class story to an animal-level story straight away.

What does that mean? Did Greed-sama recognize me as his mate using his animal instincts? Isn’t it because of my personality or my face?

……In the end, is he a dog? A puppy?

The hero with blue-green eyes that came to mind had ears and a tail.

Seeing my not-so-subtle doubtful expression, Rufaga-sama stood up from his chair. Then he stood by my side of the table, placed his hand on his chest and bowed to me.

“Eh?”

In front of me, his silver hair smoothly swayed.

“You have my gratitude.”

“G-Gratitude?”

“I thank you, as the guide of the heroes, as an elf, and as Greed’s friend. Your presence has given him salvation and a new path. If he hadn’t met you, Greed would probably have lost his goal and purpose and his sense of self would have collapsed after defeating the Demon King. You gave him the meaning to live. I am deeply grateful for that.”

I stared at the silver guy in front of me and said.

“……Are you worried about my existence?”

If I remembered correctly, that’s what he said earlier. He said that my existence is a weakness for Greed, and that I should be aware of that and act accordingly, right?

Rufaga-sama raised his head.

“Of course I am worried. But more than that, I am grateful for your existence. I already said it. That you are leading Greed in the right direction. Before he met you, he did not care. Therefore, he had no choice but to close his heart and defend himself so that he would not be overwhelmed by his fragile and enormous magical power. But he met you and found his heart. He knew the world and the people through you. His world would be expanding from now on. I can’t help but thank you for giving it to him.”

Then Rufaga-sama put his hand on his chest again and dropped his head a little. But this time it’s more like a knight who is making a vow rather than being grateful──

“I swear to protect you with all of my power and knowledge as an elf…… This is not just for Greed, but also because I personally like you.”

Rufaga-sama, who raised his face again after saying that, smiled.

“Eh?”

I can’t keep up with his words and actions. However, I found out that he has seemed to accept me somehow.

……And the fact that telling me the truth of the world and asking me if I wanted a reset was probably because of his intention to test me.

“You have given me some hope, so please let me protect you not only for Greed’s sake, but for mine too.”

After Rufaga-sama said that, he shook the staff he was holding.

The next moment, a book appeared in the empty space between Rufaga-sama and me.

My eyes widened in surprise. Perhaps he used magic to pull something that was placed elsewhere without chanting, so I was caught unaware.

Casting the bewildered me a sidelong glance, Rufaga-sama picked the floating book up and fondly stroked the cover.

“May I tell you about one more thing? It is a story that I haven’t told Greed and the others……”

“G-Go ahead.”

I consented. I wonder what he has to say, because Rufaga-sama’s eyes which were staring at the book with surprising kindness aroused my curiosity. It was the first time that Rufaga-sama, who always had an easy smile and unreadable thoughts, showed such raw emotions.

Rufaga-sama spoke, looking down at the deep green cover.

“I told you about the world earlier. The story of the tragic cycle between humans and demons, and the system for the survival of the world set by the goddess. This will continue until Atillard wakes up, which means it will be the end of the world. But…… there was a person who tried to change only the system without destroying the world.”

“Tried to change only the system without destroying the world……?”

Is that possible? So──

“……Who is it?”

“As far as I know, he was a foreigner in this world, the only person who was not tied down with the rules of this world. He once fought the Demon King with me and left his mark in the form of culture everywhere in the world──”

Rufaga-sama showed me the cover of the book.

The letters written there…… are familiar to me.

 

──“The System Called Hero”

 

“Ren Shirosaki. The visitor from another world who fought as a comrade of the Hero Matthias four hundred years ago. He is called the ‘White Sage’.”

 

* * *

 

──Ren Shirosaki. A wise man who has excellent knowledge of another world and supported the Hero Matthias with his wisdom.

Even after the Demon King was subdued, he brought various things to this world with his knowledge. Not to mention newspapers, it is said that he also invented occupational unions that exist beyond the structural system of the country. Not only that, he also revolutionized the world in terms of culture.

Ren Shirosaki’s idea of how to change the system of heroes and demons without destroying the world──it must be a ground-breaking method!

……I kind of expected that, but……

“When Ren learned about the system of this world, he made it to the point where he said, ‘Then, humans and demons should discuss about the adjustment of the amount of magical powers’.”

“……What?”

“That way, the battle between the Demon King and the Hero would be no longer necessary. The goddess won’t need to choose a Hero to prune the demons…… That’s what he thought.”

Humans and demons should negotiate with each other to adjust the amount of magical power that flows within the world……?

“B-But that……”

Rather than ground-breaking, it is a reckless or a near-impossible idea! This is a method that will never be achieved without mutual trust. However, there is too much feud between the two.

“That…… It may sound rude to you, Rufaga-sama, but that method……”

Rufaga-sama giggled as he watched me stumble with my words.

“Yes, I also did not think it would be possible. I used to think so because he said the most difficult thing as simple as that……. but he was serious.”

According to Ren Shirosaki, it’s not too difficult to control the amount of the magical powers that flows within the world.

First of all, demons are basically a race that does not increase in number drastically. Their numbers only increases explosively when there is a Demon King. It is also controlled by the Demon King──In other words, the Demon King can adjust the number of demons. The demons are faithful to the orders of their superiors.

And then humans. Humans are not rigid like demons, and neither their birth nor the amount of magical powers can be adjusted. However, unlike the demons who have “magical power = life itself”, humans have a physical body and are a race that can live with or without magical powers. Many people die unaware of it, even if they have magical powers and not being able to master it.

According to Rufaga-sama, most of the magical power that humans contribute to the world belongs to them. It is difficult for humans to seal their magical powers or increase the amount of their magical powers they possess, but they can.

And if the demons will make up for the reduced amount, they could coexist…… That’s what Ren Shirosaki thought.

“However, as you have thought, there is a very long history of hatred and battle between humans and demons. Especially, 400 years ago when Ren was there, it was terrible…… Hatred is like a mirror. If humans hate demons, demons also hate humans. By killing each other, it further increased their hatred for each other. It became a cycle. In such a vicious circle, neither side can come close to each other. Everyone laughed off his idea and deemed it as ridiculous. But Ren was thinking on a longer scale. That is to be able to achieve it hundreds of years from now…… One of the foundations was this book.”

Pausing, Rufaga-sama stroked the green cover again.

“He thought that there was a key to solving the hatred beyond understanding. In other words, he tried to deny the long-believed myth, spread a part of the truth, advocated the understanding of the demons, and change human consciousness. If human consciousness changes, so will the demons. And he hoped that there will be room for discussion in the future. That is why even though this book is titled ‘The System Called Hero’, it also mentions many things about demons. Ren used the existence of the Hero to make it easier for people to accept. Of course, he also intended to convey part of the truth about the Hero. And as another stepping stone, Ren wrote this book and at the same time actively spread the culture of another world. He tried to create new values in this world by spreading different cultures.”

“Well, yes……”

I nodded. Although there is fear, I don’t think that the demons were detestable or damnable.

Of course, there are other people in the world who have various ideas, so they may think otherwise. But I’m sure most people are the same as I.

Different cultures meet and new cultures and values are born──It is difficult for me, and I’m not sure what all of it means, but I know that the spread of Ren Shirosaki’s “The System Called Hero” has changed humans’ perception of demons.

As Rufaga-sama said, the battle between humans and demons 400 years ago was terrible, and demons became the object of fear, contempt, and hatred of humans. Even after the hero Matthias had subdued the Demon King and the world had settled down, humans’ perception did not change, and the they hunted demons as soon as they were discovered, no matter how small or non-resisting they were.

However, after that book was published, many humans became interested in the demon race, and research on the demons began. As their research progressed, it became increasingly clear that the demons were greatly influenced by the morphology of their vessels. In other words, demons in the form of quiet and small animals rarely attack humans, but demons in the form of wolves and bears have a high possibility of attacking humans.

Once it was known, it was not difficult to classify monsters by risk. Demon beasts in the form of small animals with low risk have been excluded from extermination.

That knowledge soon spread to many people, and now one can even see a small rabbit-shaped demon beast loiter beside a farmer. It can be said that human consciousness toward demons had changed drastically from 400 years ago when all weak individuals were vanquished, even if they were demons.

──If you understand, you can deal with it. If you can deal with it, your fear will diminish. Hatred will eventually subside .

That is probably the intention of Ren Shirosaki in publishing the book.

“……I feel like I kind of understand. This is the ‘beyond understanding’ that the White Sage desired.”

Rufaga-sama nodded, staring into the distance, as if thinking of something.

“Yes, humans are changing, and there are signs of changes in the Demon King. The Demon King Glydios, who was defeated by Greed…… The feelings he had for Princess Louise were not observed in previous Demon Kings.”

“The Demon King’s feelings . . . for the Princess?”

I was nonplussed when the Princess was mentioned.

“That’s right. Even until now, the Demon King would kidnap a human woman. But that was because he planned to take her to be his plaything or to make her a lure for the Hero, but it didn’t mean that he felt something special for the woman. However, Glydios was purely attracted to the Princess. As a proof, he treated the Princess with utmost care and offered her marriage. It was by no means impossible. Such attitude was not observed from his predecessors. When they wanted something, they only took it without thinking about the other party’s feelings. First of all, a Demon King who hates humans will not be attracted to human women. For them, humans are no less than insects…… Yet, he became attracted to the Princess. This can be said to be a big change. Because a demon felt something for a human other than hate for the first time.”

Hearing the words of Rufaga-sama, I remembered the contents of the “Hero Tales”. If I remember correctly, there was always a pattern wherein the Demon King would take a woman as a hostage to lure the Hero. That’s why the promised happy ending is established when the Hero saves her, but……

To take a hostage, it would not be good to take a Princess residing in a castle with strict security. However, the Demon King went into the castle alone and took the Princess after destroying the barrier.

I saw again in my mind the figure of the Demon King, who has a big body and brawny muscles.

He held the Princess in his arm…… But if I think of it again now, his hand held her with finesse and not with violence. If he intended for her to be his plaything, he should have not taken her into consideration and he should have ordered his subordinates in the first place. But her did not.

……That’s because he felt something special for the Princess.

“Of course, I can’t really say that the Demon King has changed by that alone but…… still, I found a sign of his change. That is big.”

Then, Rufaga-sama’s smiled was wiped off his face.

“I do not know what will happen to the seeds Ren has sowed, or whether his dreams will be realized or not. Realistically it will be very difficult. These past four hundred years, I continued to persuade the other elves and those people who knew the truth and made research on techniques that does not affect the flow of magic within the world, but there are not many who wish to maintain the current situation. What matters is the present, so it is not necessary to change the system until it is impossible, they said. But Ren was concerned about the future, not the present.”

Strangely, I felt that I could somehow understand the concerns of Rufaga-sama and the “White Sage”.

“Because the power of the goddess is not infinite……?”

──The Hero always defeats the Demon King, and the peace of the world is protected. It is only with the help of the goddess. But the goddess will not always help.

Please think about it. Atillard has lost his power . . . the power to sustain this world. It is not hard to imagine that even Refelia has also lost a lot of her power. The power of the goddess is also limited.

Rufaga-sama stealthily lowered his eyes at my reply.

“……You’re right. Ren pointed out that everyone, including us elves, were unknowingly looking the other way. There is no guarantee that this system will last forever. What if the goddess, who is continually losing her powers, has no more spare energy to lend her powers to the Hero? What if that will break the unwritten rule that the Hero will always win? If all of us are satisfied with the status quo and do nothing, all we are waiting for is destruction. That’s why no matter how unlikely it is, I’ll do everything I can and struggle……”

“That’s what the ‘White Sage’ said, right?”

I continued with a smile. Because those words doesn’t sound like Rufaga-sama would say. It must be what Ren Shirosaki said.

Rufaga-sama smiled and nodded.

“Correct. Ren actually said that. But I feel the same. For Ren’s unfulfilled dream.”

The dream that Ren Shirosaki envisioned is that humans and demons would work together and exchange magical powers to support this fragile world.

It sounds easy, but it is actually the most difficult…… An impossible dream.

“……I hope it comes true.”

“Yes. I also hope so.”

Rufaga-sama and I smiled at each other.

That’s what we are really hoping. I wish it would happen in the distant future. It’s a pity for me, who has no magical power to support the world, to be of no use.

“Oh……”

I just realized that there is something I can do. I’m sure that’s the reason why Rufaga-sama told me about Ren Shirosaki. I righted my posture and looked seriously at Rufaga-sama.

“……For the sake of future that the ‘White Sage’ dreamed of, Greed-sama will never destroy the world.”

That’s the only thing I can do…… The only thing I can only do.

“Please.”

Rufaga-sama answered and bowed to me again, then his usual smile returned.

“I overstayed and robbed you of your precious lunch break. I’m pretty sure Greed is getting impatient too. With that, I’ll take my leave. See you again at tea time.”

“Yes. I’ll look forward to it.”

Apparently, the conversation is over. However, I suddenly remembered something and I called out to Rufaga-sama as he headed toward the door.

“Excuse me, Rufaga-sama, what happened to the ‘White Sage’?”

……In truth, it wasn’t clear what happened to the White Sage, Ren Shirosaki.

It was said that he started a newspaper guild and moved from place to place, but at one point his tracks completely disappeared.

Rufaga-sama stopped in front of the door and looked back at me.

“I don’t even know that. One day, I felt his magical power disappeared. Whether he died or whether he returned to his original world…… The answer remains a mystery.”

 

* * *

 

“Aria.”

“Hiyaaaa~!”

As soon as Rufaga-sama disappeared behind the door, Greed-sama appeared in front of me, and I almost jumped in surprise.

Oh, this is bad for my heart……!

“Greed-sama, please be careful when using teleportation magic.”

I told you──The words that were supposed to be said were cut off in the middle. That’s because……

Suddenly, I was hugged by Greed-sama while I was sitting in the chair!

“Wha-!”

“I apologize, Aria. I got you involved…… in the fate of the Hero.”

While he said that, he was hugging me while he was crouching.

“Your apology is late, Greed-sama.”

I put my hand on Greed-sama’s back and tapped it as if consoling him. Something made me act on impulse. However, I kind of felt that Greed-sama was more shocked than I was when he was told such an outrageous story.

Greed-sama, who was pressing his face against my head, said in a muffled voice.

“But this story must have made your world crumble. If you hadn’t met me, you could have spent your whole life in ignorance……”

That’s true. Although I was talking big when I said that I wasn’t interested, as a person who belongs to this world, I actually couldn’t stay calm.

──Creation and destruction of the world. Humans and demons brought from another world. The Demon King-Hero system that is vital to the survival of the world.

……It feels like a mythical reality. But……

“But that’s exactly what I answered to Rufaga-sama. Still, we live in this world. We can just accept it. People have no choice but to live their life to the fullest in their natural environment…… That’s why Greed-sama, should something happen to me…… please don’t destroy the world.”

……At this moment, that’s what I felt. Only this is certain.

I don’t want to lose anything important, including Greed-sama. Even if I wasn’t there already at that time.

“No matter how distorted, this is our precious world. I don’t want it to be destroyed.”

I squeezed the fabric of Greed-sama’s shirt and added.

“I want you to be the kind of Hero who protects the world until the very end. So promise me. You will not destroy the world that I cherish.”

“……I [ore wa]*……”

Oh no, Greed-sama used “I” [ore]* before I knew it. However, it seems that he is not going out of control. I can’t say it well, but the situation is okay.

Greed-sama’s arms tightened around me even more.

“……Then promise me, Aria. That you will try to survive any situation. I will definitely go and help you. So you can use whatever means you like, and prioritize your safety.”

──To make an effort to survive.

It was similar to what Rufaga-sama said at the start of our conversation, but this seemed a little different.

……I found out later that Greed-sama had a premonition about this moment. He heard the footsteps of his destiny that he could not escape.

However still not knowing it, I laughed and nodded at Greed-sama.

“It’s going to be alright. The people of the Milford family are resistant to adversity, and besides, we live a bad life. I will survive in any situation. Do not fret. So Greed-sama, please also promise me that you will not destroy the world.”

“I promise. Aria, too……”

“Yes. I promise.”

“That’s absolute, okay……?”

Saying that, Greed-sama hugged me tighter.

……It’s about time for my maid friends to come back after their lunch break. If they caught us in the act just the two of us hugging each other, I don’t know what kind of rumor will spread. So I have to get Greed-sama out of the room……

Embracing each other quietly, I didn’t feel like pulling away from Greed-sama, who is hugging me as if clinging to me.

Informed by the truth of the world, while I am making excuses for myself that I’m just a little lonely──

 

* * *

 

──Around the same time, two men and women were talking in a luxurious but strangely dim room in a remote location.

“The preparation is over. All we have to do is bide our time.”

The man called Azul laughed while brushing up his blue hair, which is the reason for his name.

In response, a beautiful woman called Noir smiled. Her red lips curved into a fascinating arc.

“I’m glad you got the right doll, Dier. I think I won’t like it, though.”

Then, a voice of a third party interrupted.

“Doesn’t Ludi like men in the first place? But you’ve been collecting women.”

At that playful banter, Ludivine glared at the owner of that voice. The man is lying on a chaise lounge under the window, holding a book.

His age would be about the same as Girardière and Ludivine. He is a handsome young man in a fashionable shirt and tunic, like a nobleman’s child. His face is bordered by long, deep green hair with a slight kink. But his eyes were blood-red.

“Are you complaining? Generally, you leave everything to Dier and me, while you’re not doing anything. Are you even motivated?”

Ludivine asked the young man called Verde with a rugged expression. But he doesn’t seem to care and said this with a laugh.

“I’m not interested in the hero. There is something I’m interested in. So again, I have no intention of actively intervening. But you said you’re okay with that, so I’m here.”

“Hey, you disloyal bastard.”

Ludivine cursed him. It was Girardière who reined Ludivine and the young man in.

“But now that it has come to this, I’ll get you to do what you need to do, Fortunato.”

“I know. I’m interested in the hero’s fiancee, you know?”

Fortunato shrugged and replied. However, it seems that he lost interest in the story of the two, and turned away.

Ludivine clicked her tongue and Girardière frowned at him, but they soon gave up and the two of them started talking about their future strategy.

Fortunato smirked a little, which was not seen by the two.

“I’m most interested in this.”

Muttering so, he dropped his gaze into the book in his hand. It was a human-written book with a green cover.

It says:

──“The System Called Hero” by Ren Shirosaki.

“Oh, I’m looking forward to discussing to the hero’s fiancée about this.”

His murmuring voice sounded delighted.


Quest cleared. You have fought well, comrades. JK XDDD


Just to be clear:

Azul (Blue/Ao) = Girardiere

Noir (Black/Kuro) = Ludivine

Verde (Green/Midori) = Fortunato


After this, there will be 12 shorter chapters. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment