Bundle Release Event

Thursday, August 4, 2022

Vol. 4 Chapter 8 pt. 2 - Hero Suddenly Proposed

Is this good-bye? T_T Separation anxiety is real!





VOLUME 4: Chapter 8 - The Deciding Match


[part 2]



“Ludivine!!”

As Azul’s screams echoed in the hall, Noir’s right hand, stabbed by Milly-sama’s knife, crumbled. Eventually, it extended to Noir’s beautiful face, and eventually her entire body crumbled and disappeared.

It was the end of Ludivine, also known as Noir, who is the third most powerful subordinate of the Demon King.

“At last……!”

Milly-sama and Renas-sama cheered.

All that remains where Noir was is Farah-sama who is still in her attack position and Milly-sama’s knife. The knife has fallen on the floor.

After correcting her posture, Farah-sama slowly descended to the ground using flight magic.

But as soon as her feet touched the floor, she fell on one knee.

“Farah-sama!?”

“I think she used too much of her magical powers. The demon beasts have disappeared, so I’ll leave you for a while."

After Renas-sama said that, he rushed to Farah-sama’s side, deactivating the barrier surrounding us.

Milly-sama and I became worried about the situation.

……To be honest, I became very alert this time.

Probably it wasn’t only me, but also Milly-sama and Renas-sama.

Now, the only enemy left here is Azul.

Azul has lost one of his cores from the start, and his opponents were Rufus-sama, Rufaga-sama, and the hero Greed. Soon, he will follow Noir. Or so I thought.

Besides, the fact that we couldn’t see the situation of their battle was the very reason why we were on alert.

Because, in front of us, there was a wall of water created by Rufaga-sama with his magic.

The magic battle between Azul and Rufaga-sama caused enormous damage to the surrounding walls and floors. Rufaga-sama created a protective wall using water magic so that we wouldn’t get involved.

Of course, it is transparent because it is made of water, but it is difficult to see the other side of the wall since it is constantly flowing.

That’s why we were alert and had completely forgotten…… That a cornered animal is extremely dangerous.

“Aria, be careful……!”

Suddenly, from the other side of the wall of water, Greed-sama spoke impatiently.

“Eh?”

With a surprised look, Milly-sama and I saw the wall of water disappear in an instant.

I got ready immediately, but it was too late.

Suddenly, my mouth was covered from behind.

“……Ugh.”

“Aria!? Ah!”

The attack magic hit Milly-sama who was looking at me.

Blown away, Milly-sama crashed into the floor and rolled.

“……Hmmmmf-hmmmmf! (Milly-sama)”

I tried to call her name, but of course, I couldn’t speak because my mouth was covered.

“Milly!”

“Damn it……!”

Renas-sama and Farah-sama noticed our situation and turned pale.

“Damn, we’re too late!”

Greed-sama, Rufaga-sama, and Rufus-sama, who were once at the back of the hall, moved near us.

Then the one who restrained me from behind──Azul said.

“It was fortunate that the barrier made of sacred magic was deactivated. Thanks to that, I got a golden opportunity.”

That’s right. When Renas-sama deactivated the barrier to aid Farah-sama, it gave Azul a great opportunity.

Had I still been in that barrier, I wouldn’t have been captured by Azul.

By the way, Azul’s right flak was heavily gouged. Perhaps his second core was there.

Azul, whose second core was destroyed by Greed-sama, was cornered and decided to take me hostage.

How careless of me! Thanks to that, I’m in a pinch!

However…… What I had in my mind at this moment was not fear or impatience, but the thought “again”.

I’m a hostage again? Isn’t my rate of being held hostage too high?

There were instances where it’s because I reaped what I have sown, but I was mostly caught up in force majeure…… It’s kind of unreasonable.

I also want the demons to get a hold of themselves! I feel like I can understand why the top-brass demons can’t beat the Hero’s party. It’s time for them to learn that taking hostages doesn’t mean you can win.

With those thoughts, I seethed with anger.

“Release Aria.”

Greed-sama said, slowly approaching us.

The heroes in the stories often said that kind of line. So it’s not strange.

But, Greed-sama, I have to say this, I don’t think he would honestly let me go.

Azul took me hostage, especially because he did not want to advance the battle unlike what Noir did.

As expected, Azul told Greed-sama while he pulled me back a little.

“Once we are sure that we are safe, I will let her go. But this girl is a powerful trump card against you. I will leave her until we’re ready.”

As expected. The reason he took me hostage was not to defeat Greed-sama, but to escape safely from this place.

If it was Noir, she might have aimed to take Greed-sama’s life with me as her shield even in this situation.

But as far as I have deciphered from their conversations so far, Azul seems to be more calm and cunning than Noir. Instead of acting recklessly, he is probably considering retiring to recuperate and then challenge Greed-sama again.

And being surrounded by enemies, he absolutely needs a trump card to escape safely. Yes, with me as his hostage.

……Hey, are you kidding me!? I finally met Greed-sama and everyone!

I have to do something!

Or so I thought because no matter how much I struggle, Azul’s arm doesn’t loosen.

The three combos of hitting, scratching, and pinching were of course useless. In addition, because my mouth is covered, it is not possible to make a good bite.

Suddenly Azul laughed in mockery.

“Nevertheless, I didn’t think Ludi could be taken down so easily. Let’s say that I was a little optimistic, but I haven’t lost yet. I’ll definitely win next time.”

Pausing, Azul then screamed skyward.

“For! You’re there, right!?”

Apparently, he was trying to call Verde. But he did not seem to reply, so he shook his head and clucked his tongue.

“He ran away, huh? What a sly guy……”

That’s right. He did not want to fight Greed-sama and the others.

He declared that he helped attack Schwarze’s castle and took me away because he wanted to hear Ren Shirosaki’s story.

“Whatever. As long as this girl is in my hands, I can do something about it.”

Azul muttered, slowly retreating.

He is retreating because Greed-sama is approaching.

In truth, when I was caught by Azul, he had witnessed the use of “bam!” again. And also to what happened to Noir. That’s why he is probably keeping a distance and keeping vigilant.

It seems that everyone is trying to get a chance for Azul, but it doesn’t seem to be that easy with Azul.

If they can distract Azul a tiny, little bit, Greed-sama will be able to close the distance at once and that “bam!” will be activated!

I tried to think while I was being dragged slowly backward.

Is there something I can do? Even for just a moment, I can find. way to distract Azul.

Aaahhh, if I keep on talking, maybe I can upset him by insulting the macho Demon King!

At that time, an idea came to me like a revelation.

……What if I make him close his red eyes?

The demons have no physical weaknesses. They feel no pain, so even if I stab him with a knife, he won’t feel hurt or frightened. In fact, Azul was calm when his arm was cut off.

But . . . imitating a human figure, Azul looks at things with his eyes like humans do, right?

I quickly scanned the surroundings while staying quiet.

Everyone except Milly-sama is surrounding Azul and me within close proximity. If he can get a chance, he can always recapture me.

Greed-sama, who is holding the holy sword in his hand, is slowly approaching, so Azul also retreated, wary of him. And he was looking around with his red eyes.

Yes, surely Azul is looking around with his eyes.

By no means, Azul would not let go of his hand that covered my mouth. So, looking into Greed-sama’s eyes, I touched my bracelet with my right hand to give him a signal.

──With this, Greed-sama should know that he must use the power of the bracelet.

Then I quickly extended my left hand towards Azul’s red eyes and blocked his vision with my palm.

“……What, you……!”

Azul was surprised at the sudden occurrence. It’s too late for him to regret that he covered my mouth and left my limbs free.

With his eyes closed, I hooked one of my feet on one of his legs and kicked him.

“Ugh……!”

Azul was taken aback and lost his balance.

Since I was held by Azul, we were about to fall down together.

Perhaps Azul didn’t mind about me at all until this moment.

I am known to have no magical power and strength. He must have thought that he doesn’t need to be vigilant as long as my mouth is closed. [T/N: Intellect is powerful, too.]

That’s why he could not process this sudden move on my part.

Greed-sama did not miss the opportunity. He kicked the ground and closed the distance at once.

“……Gah……!”

After a moment, there was a clicking sound from my left wrist, and Azul was blown back by some invisible force.

Freed from Azul, I surrendered to the familiar feeling of being pulled by the bracelet.

Greed-sama reached out and took me straight into his left arm.

Then, he kicked the ground again and approached Azul, who was blown backward by the sacred magic of the bracelet.

Holding me in his left arm, Greed-sama thrust his holy sword at Azul’s neck, making his eyes widen.

The last core of Azul is on his neck.

──Thump!

At that moment, I felt a not-so-small impact course through my body through Greed-sama’s arm.

“……Gu-hah……!”

Azul groaned.

The holy sword stuck on his neck gave off a faint light.

The holy sword began to decompose the core.

“It’s the end.”

Greed-sama’s soft, calm voice echoed.

I turned away from Azul and shut my eyes tightly.

Even though he is an enemy, it’s disturbing to see a familiar face disintegrate and disappear.

“……Damn, you……”

I heard Azul’s faint voice. It was a very pitiful voice.

However, he then said in a firm voice. I opened my eyes and looked at Azul.

“Demon King . . . with this . . .”

Those were the last words of Azul.

When his red eyes closed, his body began to crumble silently.

The remnants of his magical powers, like sand, disappeared without falling to the floor, leaving nothing behind.

──Leaving nothing behind after death.

Clinging to Greed-sama, feeling a little overwhelmed, I felt that it symbolized the existence of the demons.

Greed-sama sheathed the holy sword with its scabbard and placed both his hands on my back as if to protect me.

……Thus, I was finally in Greed-sama’s arms.

“Are we done?”

Rufus-sama and Rufaga-sama approached us.

A little later, Farah-sama, who was finally able to move, and Renas-sama, who was supporting Milly-sama, also approached us.

Suddenly, I felt embarrassed so I distanced myself a little from Greed-sama and spoke to Milly-sama and Farah-sama.

“Milly-sama, Farah-sama, are your bodies okay?”

Milly-sama laughed cheerfully while leaning against Renas-sama.

“I’m fine, but I wasn’t careful earlier. I have to reflect on it.”

“I feel a little wobbly. I’m sorry for making you worry.”

Farah-sama also said with a radiant smile. The reason why she seems to be so happy is because she was able to defeat Noir as she had wished.

This should have freed Farah-sama’s childhood friend from Noir’s [Puppet] spell……

Speaking of which, I remembered the women in the “doll room”.

They were kept alive only by the magical power of Noir. The disappearance of Noir means that all of them have……

I closed my eyes tightly.

……But I’m sure that it’s for the best. They were finally freed from the nightmares that haunted them even after death.

However, I would like to at least bury their corpse, so I will secretly consult with Greed-sama and Renas-sama later so as not to dampen Farah-sama’s joy.

If possible, I would like to secretly send their bodies to their hometown. For that, the cooperation of Greed-sama and the others are indispensable.

“Aria?”

Deep in my thoughts, Greed-sama called my name with an intrigued expression. I was stunned so I hurriedly covered up my blunder.

“I’m sorry! A lot of things had happened that I was deeply moved by the thought that it was finally over!”

It was just an excuse, but I still meant it.

The two who were targeting Greed-sama were already gone, So I shouldn’t be targeted anymore.

Yes, everything’s done, and we can now go back to Schwarze with no worries!

However, when Rufaga-sama heard what I said, he shook his head with a serious expression.

“No, not yet. The threat is still there.”

“B-But, Azul and Noir have already disappeared . . . right?”

My eyes widened as I asked Rufaga-sama. What other threats are left?

“A high ranking demon remains─the first ranked demon, Verde, who is the second most powerful demon after the Demon King.”

“Eh? Verde?”

“Yes. As long as a high-ranking demon remains, it is still not safe.”

Then, Rufus-sama interjected.

“By the way, that demon did not show up at all. I was wary of when he would appear…… Did he run away as Azul said?”

“Don’t let your guard down, Rufus. Even though Azul and Noir have disappeared, the castle remains in its original form. In other words, Verde’s magical power is still activated. He did not run away. It wouldn’t be strange if he would appear anytime.”

“The most powerful top brass…… That’s troublesome.”

Farah-sama’s smile was wiped out of her face and her expression became grim.

“He’ll surely aim for Aria again.”

Milly-sama also said, frowning. Renas-sama, who is next to her, suggested to Greed-sama and Rufaga-sama.

“But for now, let’s go back to Schwarze and recuperate. Farah has significantly exhausted her magical powers, and Milly has a slight injury on her leg. Above all, Aria must take a rest.”

“U-Uhm……”

While everyone was discussing, I timidly spoke.

“About Verde, I think you shouldn’t fret. I don’t think he will fight Greed-sama.”

At that moment, everyone fell silent.

“……Aria, why do you think so?”

Greed-sama, who had been silent for a long time, asked me.

Jerking in surprise, I replied.

“Th-That’s what he said. About the Hero . . . He is not interested in Greed-sama. He doesn’t hold a grudge against you for what you've done to the Demon King.”

“……Isn’t he the top brass who should be the closest to the Demon King and the one that should have the most interest in Greed?”

Whoooaaaa, Rufaga-sama is frowning!

Startled again, I nodded.

“Yes, I was also surprised but I don’t think he is lying.”

I may not have been blessed by beauty and an ample bosom, but I know I have eyes that can see people.

Verde may be capricious and I don’t know what he is thinking, but I don’t think what he told me was a lie.

He had his own philosophy of action, and he is acting according to it.

“It seems that Verde helped break Schwarze's barrier because he had something to ask me. I think that purpose has been fulfilled so he will not target me anymore.”

“Correct.”

Suddenly, I was surprised to hear a voice I knew from nowhere.

While everyone became wary, Greed-sama went in front of me, staring at the sky and touching the handle of the sacred sword.

“……He’s coming.”

Greed-sama’s words made everyone except me nervous.

The next moment, a thick black vertical line appeared in front of Greed-sama.

In addition, a horizontal line appeared quickly, overlapping with the vertical line.

It was as if a painting of “Ballroom Scene” had a cross-shaped cut with a knife.

What one can see through the cut is the jet-black darkness that swallows everything.

And then, a hand came out of it and a young man with deep green hair appeared.

Of course, that is Verde, also known as Fortunato.

As Verde emerged from the jet-black space, the cuts closed and disappeared in a blink of an eye.

“Like Aria said, I’m not interested in the Hero, so there’s no reason for me to aim for Aria.”

Floating in the air in his usual tunic, Verde said in his usual carefree tone.

However, there is no way for everyone to let their guard down, and Greed-sama unsheathed his holy sword.

Hey, hey!

“Whoa, scary, scary.”

Verde raised his hands, as if to surrender. However, his easy-going attitude did not change.

“Can you please put away that sword? Unlike those two, I don’t feel like dealing with you, guys.”

“Then, what did you show up for?”

Greed-sama looked at Verde and asked a simple question. He has no intention of putting his sword away.

Verde’s lips curved into an arc.

“Of course, to discuss.”

He then looked down at Greed-sama and Rufaga-sama.

“Hero, as well as the ‘guide’, Elf, I want to propose to you, as representatives of humans and elves.”

“Propose?”

Greed-sama’s eyes squinted, while Rufaga-sama’s expression became serious.

Nevertheless, Greed-sama continued.

“Yes, I’d like to propose a truce. Once the Hero has adjusted the magical powers, I’d like us to have a cease-fire agreement. From now on, humans and demons will discuss how to adjust the amount of magical powers that flow in this world.”

──Someone particularly showed a strong reaction to that statement. It’s Rufaga-sama.

He looked up at Verde and then turned his gaze towards me.

Seeing his questioning gaze, I unintentionally ducked my head.

……Yes, that’s right. I told him the story. But had I not spilled the beans, he would have taken one of my arms!

“You want to discuss how to adjust the magical powers?”

“Humans and demons?”

“What do you mean? What are you talking about?”

“That’s…… sounds outrageous.”

The hall buzzed with everyone’s questions.

Yes, only Rufaga-sama and I knew about this “impossible dream” of Ren Shirosaki. It’s something that even Greed-sama doesn’t know.

But Greed-sama must have known through the spirits. He is still calm despite hearing Verde’s statement.

“I’ll explain later.”

Rufaga-sama sighed and said to everyone.

He then looked up at Verde and asked.

“You, who are called Verde, do you think it is possible?”

Verde only shrugged his shoulders.

“Who knows, but don’t you think it’s worth trying? We now have a chance…… Now that there is no other top brass other than me.”

Suddenly, Verde grinned.

“Demons are instinctive creatures; we obey the orders of our superiors. Until now, there were three high-ranking demons, including me, but now that they have disappeared, all the demons will obey my orders. Don’t you think it’s the right time to adjust the magical powers that flow in the world?”

Rufaga-sama squinted.

“……Don’t tell me, that’s the reason why you kidnapped Aria and made us defeat Azul and Noir……?”

I was startled. N-No way!

Verde heard it and smiled, then burst out laughing.

“No, I only decided to do this after hearing from Aria, okay? I didn’t plan it before that!”

……But after listening to my story……?

A cold shiver ran down my back.

Recalling those words he told me before sending me to Azul and Noir, and his voice urging me to call Greed-sama when I was driven into a corner, Verde must have envisioned this.

He knew about the power of the bracelet. He probably knew in advance that if I was attacked, the bracelet’s protective power would be activated and I would be able to summon Greed-sama.

“But you abandoned your friends on purpose . . . didn’t you?”

Greed-sama said, pointing the tip of the holy sword at Verde.

That’s right. Verde must have been watching the fight somewhere.

Maybe he was going to do that from the beginning…… To become the most powerful of the demons.

“They are not my friends. We are all just high-ranking demons. Even when the Demon King was alive, we didn't have a relationship. What were they thinking? No matter what they do, I didn’t care less. Of course, I didn’t need to help them. Demons are essentially such creatures.”

Verde laughed, then briefly stuck out his tongue and said.

“But I admit that I had that intention. It’s true that all three of us would be in the way of adjusting the magical powers. That’s why you, guys, tried to find us and make us disappear, right? However, unless the amount of magical powers is too much, it should be all right to spare at least one demon . . . right? Elf, how is the amount of magical powers flowing in the world right now?”

Verde squinted his eyes and asked Rufaga-sama.

“Now that two of the high-ranking demons, as well as the large number of demon beasts here and at Schwarze have vanished, the amount of magical powers flowing in the world is not too imbalanced . . . Right?”

Rufaga-sama frowned. Because Verde is right.

Verde beamed.

“Then it’s all right if one demon who isn’t hostile to humans survives, isn’t it? If it’s still not enough, you can adjust it by eliminating some of Ludi and Dier’s minions.”

“……Is that your goal?”

Rufaga-sama asked Verde with a grim expression.

“Did you make us kill the other demon executives so that you can survive? Did you involve Aria for that?”

“Well, in a sense. It’s a waste to survive even after the death of the Demon King, but it’s also a waste to disappear. But I purely wanted to hear the story from Aria. In exchange, I hid the truth of the bracelet from them and kept her safe, no?”

The last sentence was directed to me.

“Well, you did protect me……”

That’s for sure. This whimsical Verde has taken care of me in an outrageous way.

But somehow, I think it was because he could rope Greed-sama and Rufaga-sama into the discussion.

I guess Greed-sama and his friends would not accept the proposal if he did not give them a favor. He also glanced at the bracelet.

“Also, I quite like Aria. She’s really interesting.”

“Huh? What nonsense are you spouting!?”

You need not mention that!

“I’ll kill you.”

Whoooaaa, look, Greed-sama is letting out his killing intent!

“Rufaga, don’t listen to his story anymore. Let us be rid of him now.”

“Ahahahaha! The Hero is jealous.”

Verde laughed gleefully without fearing the holy sword and Greed-sama’s murderous intent.

“Aria, if you want to escape the Hero, I’ll give you a nice hideout in another world. Don’t hesitate to tell me.”

“Ha, haha……”

Left with no choice, I had to give a dry laugh. What would a wonderful hideout look like in another world? Would it be like that room with a porch?

“Let’s kill him now.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, Greed-sama, stop!”

I hurriedly jumped at Greed-sama’s back when he was about to slash at Verde.

“Don’t stop me, Aria. I can’t look the other way when a man is eyeing you. I’ll remove everything.”

“Don’t make a controversial statement!”

……During such a conversation, Verde spoke to Rufaga-sama, who still had a serious expression.

“Hmm, humans and elves aren’t monoliths either, so there may be dissenting opinions, I’m not in a hurry so you have ample time to consider it.”

“……”

Rufaga-sama did not answer…… Or maybe he is not able to answer. It is not an easy proposal to accept.

“Your friend’s ‘impossible dream’. Do you want it to come true? I’m not under the Demon King anymore, so I can place a bet.”

“……Wouldn’t this be a short dream until the next Demon King is born?”

Rufaga-sama finally muttered.

Verde quipped with a smile.

“If the next Demon King isn’t freed from hatred of humans and wants to repeat the cycle, then that would be the case. That’s why it is a bet . . . But by then, the relationship between humans and demons had already evolved. Your friend sowed the seed hoping for it to come true. And now, it has sprouted. Two hundred years later, more seeds of change would be sprouting. No one knows what’s ahead, Elf. That’s why this world is so interesting.”

The red eyes of Verde glinted with delight.

“Well then, I’m about to leave soon. When the amount of magical powers flowing into the world has been balanced, I’ll show up again, so I hope you have thought about what I said by then.”

As soon as Verde said that, another cut appeared behind him.

We watched him silently.

“Wait.”

Verde ignored Greed-sama and slipped into the gap in the space, and emerged again only with his upper body and waved at me.

“Bye, Aria. I’m going to see you soon. When that time comes, let’s talk again.”

“Huuuh……”

“Don’t show up again.”

Of course, Greed-sama said that.

After Verde burst out laughing, he disappeared into the darkness.

When he disappeared, the gaps in the space disappeared in a blink of an eye.

It still feels strange to watch no matter how many times I’ve seen it. I wonder what the principle behind that is.

As I watched the now empty space with those thoughts in mind, Greed-sama looked at me and said, smiling.

“When we return to Schwarze, Aria, you will tell us more about what you talked with Verde and how long you were with him, right?”

“Hiiii.”

My face twitched.

I don’t feel like hurrying to return home!

“Well, w-we didn’t talk for that long, okay?”

It was just after I hurriedly came up with an excuse.

Suddenly, the light in the hall went out and it became pitch black.

“Hiyaaaa!”

Surprised, I immediately hugged Greed-sama.

“What’s with the sudden change?”

The rest were also surprised.

“Light.”

Immediately after Rufaga-sama uttered, the entire hall became bright as if it were daytime.

──And we were left with no words.

The hall became completely different.

The pillars collapsed, and the decorations in the ceiling were gone. No, far from decorations, some parts have no ceilings.

The exposed floor stones without carpet were covered with moss, and some parts have soils exposed.

It’s as if it was weatherbeaten for decades.

“Th-This is……”

Renas-sama stammered with a stunned expression.

“Perhaps . . . this is an abandoned castle that Verde has moved here from somewhere……?”

I muttered, blinking.

“Probably.”

Rufaga-sama nodded.

“Maybe Verde’s magic transformed this castle into what we saw. He left here, so the spell is deactivated.

I looked around.

Speaking of which, Verde said that although the exterior was made to resemble the former Demon King’s castle, the internal structure remained the same as the original abandoned castle.

“It was said that one person supported this huge castle with magical power. As expected of the second most powerful demon after the Demon King……”

Rufus-sama called out to Rufaga-sama, who was standing alone.

“Are you going to believe Verde’s words?”

Everyone was watching silently while Verde was talking.

Even if they haven’t heard about Ren Shirosaki’s “impossible dream”, they have probably realized that that is.

Rufaga-sama answered with a wrinkle between his eyebrows.

“I don’t know. I can’t decide on my own, and I don’t know what kind of person Verde is . . . Aria, what do you think?”

Suddenly, I was flabbergasted, my eyes widening.

I wonder why he is asking a mere maid and a mob…… But I have talked to Verde more than anyone else.

Nervous, I remembered what Verde and I discussed about the Demon King.

“I . . . believe him. I know that he is not obsessed with hatred for humans. And I am well aware that the successive Demon Kings had to rely reluctantly on the cycle…… Perhaps, he wanted to change that.”

When he heard my words, Rufaga-sama pondered about it again.

He must have been confused by the unexpected suggestion of the enemy that he thought was impossible to talk to.

“Well, let’s think about it carefully after we get home.”

Farah-sama suggested.

Then Rufaga-sama looked up and smiled.

“You’re right. It is not something that can be decided right away. Above all, the magical powers have not been balanced yet. It’s time to think about it. Greed, is that okay with you?”

“Yes.”

Greed-sama replied, exhaling a little, and placed the holy sword into its scabbard.

“Alright, let’s go back to Schwarze! Everyone is worried so let’s relieve their agitation.”

While leaning against Renas-sama, Milly-sama exclaimed cheerfully.

……I’m going home. I can go home. To Schwarze……! To the Princess, to the King, the Prime Minister, Famir-sama, and everyone else!

At that moment, I couldn't contain what I was bottling up inside, and my lacrimal glands gave out.

Greed-sama was stunned when he saw the tears streaming on my face.

“Aria!?”

“I-I’m fine……”

I could not stop crying. I’m happy, so why?

I wanted to smile because everyone was worried, but my tears continued to spill.

“Aria, it’s okay.”

Greed-sama said and hugged me.

Feeling his warmth, my tears spilled again.

I wonder what’s happening to me. Is this a delayed reaction from my suppressed fear when I was a hostage?

“She’s relieved. Let her cry, Greed.”

Farah-sama looked at Greed-sama and me and said that with a smile.

I shed more tears when I heard her words, clinging to Greed-sama as I tried to hold back my tears. But it didn’t work.

……I’m back. Finally, in his arms.

I clung to Greed-sama’s chest and started crying in earnest.

“It’s okay, Aria. It’s okay now.”

Greed-sama hugged me and told me so many times to comfort me.

──The stars, the moon, and the light from the spirits were shining brightly on us from the broken ceiling.

“It’s okay. I’m sorry.”

Eventually, I stopped crying and wiped my tears with my sleeves, and tried to get out of Greed-sama’s arms.

However, Greed-sama did not let me go.

“Greed-sama?”

Looking up, I saw Greed-sama looking at me with a soft smile.

What is that sensual expression? My tears have withdrawn in an instant!

“I want to keep you in my arms until we return because when you return to the castle, I will have to share you with those who are worried about you, including your parents.”

“Eh, parents?”

“Yes. And your brother, too. Everyone was worried about you and rushed to the royal castle.”

“Geh.”

Did they tell my parents that I was kidnapped……? But it’s only been a day.

I’m very worried that my father has caused any inconvenience to everyone.

“Not just your parents. Everyone in the castle is worried about you. So let’s go home and reassure them.”

“……Yes!”

Smiling as I nod, that’s when I noticed. Suddenly, I heard a clicking sound from my left arm.

The source of the sound was the bracelet.

When I hurriedly raised my hand and looked at it, there was a long crack in the golden bracelet’s flower pattern!

The crack spread in the blink of an eye, and the bracelet crumbled in front of my eyes.

And there was also a change in the silver bracelet on Greed-sama’s arm. It made a rattling noise and fell off from Greed-sama’s arm to the floor.

“W-Why……?”

I was stunned as I watched the debris falling on the floor.

Greed-sama answered me in a calm voice.

“I think it used so much power that the bracelet could not withstand it. It is made in pairs, so if one bracelet breaks, the other will break at the same time. That’s what it is.”

“What……”

I stared at the debris that had fallen on the floor.

Thinking of it, the bracelets connected Greed-sama and me.

I thought it was outrageous to have that “bam!” activated on top of it not coming off, but it has protected me all the time and has saved me from a lot of pinches many times.

Because of this, it has given me hope when I was trapped in the Demon King’s castle.

Now the bracelet has come off, and my left wrist is empty.

I was struck by an unexpected sense of loss and loneliness as the things that I had taken for granted disappeared.

I looked at my wrist for a while and I thought, am I not the “Hero’s Fiancee” anymore?

The bracelet made the world know that I was the “Hero’s Fiancee”…… that was the case, I believe.

Not having the bracelet . . . means I’m no longer his fiancee?

“I see.”

It was Rufaga-sama who said that.

“Well, you’re still the ‘Hero’s Beloved’, but now that the threat from the demons is gone, you don’t have to be the ‘Hero’s Fiancee’. We don’t know what will happen in the future, so the rest is up to you.”

Oh. Even though he made me into a “Hero’s Fiancee” just because I was in danger, since he does not need to protect me, he is free to do anything and be irresponsible. Hmp.

While I was sulking, Greed-sama took my hand and said.

“Yes. It doesn’t matter if I am the Hero or it is because of the danger of being attacked by demons. It’s already done. Didn’t you say this before Aria? Let’s begin with a blank slate. We are in that state now.”

I looked up at Greed-sama and gave him a soft smile, then looked down at the shattered pieces of the bracelets on the floor.

Blank slate…… Where there wasn’t anything yet……?

Everything, even from the marriage proposal at that hall?

Seeing that I was stunned, Greed-sama smiled deeply and said.

“And you said, you want to start anew. That’s what I also thought, so let me start over.”

“Eh? Start over?”

Greed-sama released me, who is still dumbfounded, and took a step back.

When Greed-sama took my hands, I raised my head and said that.

……His blue-green eyes were the same as that time.

“Let’s start over from the beginning. I will propose to you this time, not as a Hero, but as just Greed.”

“Greed-sama……”

“I love you, Aria. From the bottom of my heart. Will you spend the rest of your life with me?”

……My face flushed.

──It was a very similar scenario.

At that time, a handsome Hero who triumphantly returned held my hand in the hall in front of many people.

Now, unlike that time, only a few people are present.

Only the important friends who had been with him through thick and thin were around.

It was not the same hall that is full of people and decorations, but an abandoned castle that could collapse at any time.

……But I think it is ten times more wonderful than that time because my feelings had changed dramatically.

Everyone around us is watching us with a smile.

Renas-sama, the white priest. Cuddling him is the frank Milly-sama with short, red hair. Even in his robe, Rufus-sama is exuding mobility and elegance. Rufaga-sama, who looks like a boy but is more intelligent than anyone. And the dashing Farah-sama, whose golden hair is fluttering.

And kneeling in front of me is a pale blonde man. He is the valiant Hero who is clad in silver armor.

I’m many times happier being surrounded by people who we love very much and who are very important to us than at that time.

That’s why I──

“Greed-sama.”

I looked down at him and said.

“I──”

My answer is──


*** end of chapter ***


You also wonder what happens to the characters in this novel? The answer will be in the epilogue. Apparently, chapter 4 has 2 epilogue chapters O.O 

No comments:

Post a Comment